A giant step in the chapters career has been successfully covered by the team with Petrofiesta 2013 (8th-10th Nov) the first annual festival of SPE IIT Kharagpur Chapter. It witnessed a participation of around 500 students which included international participation from African countries like Sudan. The participants had been inspired by our Chief Guest who presided all along by which the session was filled with an energizing lecture.
- The later session of the year had been led with the successful project of conducting an open house session on Energy Sector hosting 3 most reputed industry professionals in the "Ambassador Lecture Program" (ALP)
- The open house session served its purpose of enlightening the students of current atmosphere in the energy sector and thriving them to choose and prosper their career goals, the summary if it as follows:
- Mr Himanshu Gupta, Project Leader at Planning Commission of India and Founder of YEC Whole lot of professionals and future aspirants were truly made to ponder over the need to envision the Global Energy Scenarios and how to explore the knowledge well of Climate Change using the tools developed at PCI
- Mr Raghav Trivedi, COO, Moser Baer Energy Educated the participants on the industrial usage energy reserves to production ratio and need to closely monitor and act accordingly for an optimized scenario.
- Mr Arun Chidambaram, Geodata Specialist, Conocophillips Speculated the technical interests and job prospects of an engineer at ConocoPhillips, the challenges faced in the field jobs while giving an insight into the career paths available in Oil & Gas industry.
- We have ended the term 2013-14 by supporting a social cause of "Green Environment" with a painting competition so as to see "how the next generation envisions their planet free from carbon footprint being created by industries", on the ocassion of Holi in a local primary school.
During this session,the activities of SPE IIT Kharagpur gained momentum and a series of landmark events related to all -upstream,midstream and downstream sectors of the Exploration and Production Industry were organized under its aegis.
- In August 2012, the chapter organized "Internship Talk" where the previous years' selected interns from IIT Kharagpur conducted an interactive session with students aspiring for internships in Schlumberger ,Cairn India,ONGC and other stalwarts in the Energy Sector.
- In November 2012, a Case Study event was conducted in association with GREAT STEP 2012 on "Oil Economics related to drilling and reservoir estimation" receiving participation from well deemed petroleum oriented universities like IT-BHU,ISM Dhanbad,Osmania University,Anna University etc.
- In January 2013, a grand scale "Petro Case Study" event was organized in association with KSHITIJ 2013 on "Pipeline Transportation of Oil and Gas" and the importance of its optimization in view of the current scenario of energy crisis worldwide ,with Mr.K.B. Krishnan,Managing Director of Larsen and Toubro Gulf Private Limited and Mr.G.S Bist ,Chief Manager ,Pipeline Project Development Group Division of GAIL India limited serving as the chief guests for the event.
- In March 2013,the Chapter conducted its annual "Ambassador Lecture Program 2013" where Mr.Rajesh Kumar Mittal,Deputy General Manager ,ONGC Delhi-Cairn India Joint Venture delivered a guest lecture on "Reservoir Rock Description in Oil & Gas Industry, using Computed Tomography" and discussed the future of its applications on Indian offshore Reservoir of Bombay High .
- Last but not the least ,the chapter organized a workshop on "Optimisation of Refinery Processes" using simulation software like Pro2,HTRI and ASPEN in association with CHEMINSIGHT 2013-Department fest of Chemical Engineering where Mr. Sandeep Lahiri from Indian Oil Corporation Limited served as the Chief Guest. The event recieved a huge response with over 200 students participating in the event from colleges all over India.
SPE IIT Kharagpur Chapter was officially recognized by SPE international in October 2010 and embarked its journey in February 2011.
- The first annual meet of the chapter took place in April 2011 with Mr.B.K.Borgohain,Chief Geologist (S) ,ONGC and Mr. Debasish Mukherjee,Chief Geologist ,ONGC delivering a guest lecture on the topic "Petroleum Prospecting and Extraction ".
- In September 2011,the student chapter in association with Department of Mining Engineering organized an Introductory Seminar in which delegates from Oil India shared their experiences.
- A significant accomplishment for the student chapter was hosting an Inter-College Petroleum Case Study Competition in GREATSTEP 2011-annual technical fest of Department of Mining Engineering ,IIT Kharagpur where: Mr.Holger leiberweith ceo, of Takraf Asia,A German Multinational served as the guest of Honour
- In March 2012,SPE IIT Kharagpur Chapter was awarded the Most Oustanding Chapter Award 2012 by SPE International .